Onwards and Upwards

22 Dec

This was the state of my room this morning. During moments like this I wish I had Merlin’s magic bag from Disney’s Sword in the Stone to make packing and moving much easier. Alas, I am just a mere mortal.

Higitus, figitus, migitus, mum Prestidigitorium!

Higitus, figitus, migitus, mum
Prestidigitorium!

Over the weekend I visited two gardens: The Savill Garden and Oxford Botanic Garden. I will create a post for both and – hopefully – I will catch up and write about all the other gardens I have visited during the next few of weeks. Just two mini highlights from the two gardens:

These snowdrops at The Savill Garden are either really early or extremely late.

These snowdrops at The Savill Garden are either really early or extremely late.

Carlos (one of the trainees) spotted some snowdrops blooming at the foot of a tall oak and we all rushed over to admire them. I find the simplicity of snowdrops very beautiful, and combination of the clean linen white and fresh apple green is so hopeful and encouraging during the final throws of winter.

So small and delicate!

So small and delicate!

At the Oxford Botanic Garden a wonderful shrub was starting to bloom: Chimonanthus praecox. This deciduous, winter-blooming shrub is native to China where it is highly prized for its scent and its audacity. This shrub has long lancelet leaves and has a wild habit, but in the dead of winter brave blossoms hang off of the bare branches. The papery petals are pale yellow, bell-shaped and extremely fragrant. The scent is reminiscent of hyacinths, but softer and smoother – to die for. A must have in a winter garden where it can get a bit of shelter from the cold, drying winds.

Chimonanthus praecox, a ghostly looking flower with a haunting fragrance, blooming at Oxford Botanic Garden.

My next stop is Bury St. Edmunds where I will be spending my Christmas and right after that straight onwards to Edinburgh. Technically I start my placement with the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh mid January, but since I have two ‘Study Weeks’ I wanted to take advantage of them and really get to know Scotland. (Plus nothing beats a Scottish winter to inspire you to write…specifically a mid-term report.) Anyway, time to finish packing and I’ll be heading off in the morning. Talk to you later!

About these ads

10 Responses to “Onwards and Upwards”

1. terrygardens December 22, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

Reblogged this on RHS/GCA Fellowship Experience and commented:

Hello everyone! Just checking in. I’ve completed my first placement at Wisley and next I will be heading up to Edinburgh. See you then!

2. t December 22, 2013 at 8:45 pm #

Is that a bottle of hand sanitizer on your desk?!! Miss you Terry, so nice to follow you in your travels. Merry Christmas! -t

• terrygardens December 27, 2013 at 8:12 am #

Haha, omg! Yes, it is. I hope you had a good holiday season, have a Happy New Year!

3. VivianAres December 27, 2013 at 9:50 pm #

So enjoy following your adventures, Terry! Happy New Year to you! Think of you often..
    Take note: New email address: *** Big Hug…Viv

• terrygardens December 31, 2013 at 6:07 am #

Thanks, Vivian! I’ve been thinking of all of you too. Happy New Year to you too!

4. Agnes January 7, 2014 at 8:27 am #

“…and we all rushed over to admire them,” I can totally picture it! Continually enjoying your vivid descriptions Terry! The primroses have finally arrived at CPGS, wishing you were here to enjoy their fragrance!

• terrygardens January 8, 2014 at 3:40 am #

I left it out, but we all squealed before we rushed over and took a bunch of photos of them. Oh man, I’ve been on an epic quest for primulas here! If only there was a CPGS around the corner here…smell them for me!

• Agnes January 8, 2014 at 8:29 am #

;-)

5. Vivian Ares June 30, 2014 at 9:34 am #

This Island looks like the frosting on the cake for you, Terry! Wish I could beam myself there to share in the beauty of that place. All the best to you..miss you.. And Enjoy every minute of the rest of your stay!!

• terrygardens July 30, 2014 at 12:34 am #

My goodness, I thought I had relied to you! Vivian, it was amazing and what a perfect place to end the fellowship. I wish you could have been there as well! Thanks so much and I will see you back in Seattle soon!